Activity: Radio Talk show on Commission for Truth, Reconciliation and Healing (CTRH)
Location: Yambio FM 90.0 MHZ-WES
Number of Participants: Masses
Date: 23 June 2023
Partner: Government of Sweden through UNDP
Brief Activity Story
As we come close to the end of the project for promoting peaceful co-existence and community cohesion in South Sudan funded by the government of Sweden through UNDP. Today 23 June 2023, our project team conducted a talk show on Yambio FM and the point of discussion was the commission for truth, reconciliation and healing (CTRH) a component of chapter five of the 2018 South Sudan revitalized peace agreement.
From previous events of civil war in neighboring countries such as; Rwanda, South Africa, Serra Leon and others, it has been tested and proven that the formation of a commission for truth reconciliation and healing is a very important component of peace agreements drafted to restore peace in those countries because through this commission, victims (Survivors) and perpetrators are brought together to say the truth, seek for forgiveness, forgive, reconcile and from there individuals and communities begin a healing process a sign of peace.
On top that perpetrators willingly accept their punishments and people and communities are compensated for their loses and from that justice is achieved for the survivors
However the method of implementation might vary due to the various customs and cultures among the people of South Sudan. So this particular talk show was meant to further sensitize the civilians at the grass root so that when that time comes, they will be ready to say the truth, and reconcile so that they can allow room for healing and sustainable peace to take shape.
Objectives of the Activity
1. To create awareness to the general public on the commission for Truth, Reconciliation and Healing (CTRH)
2. To educate the masses on the importance, processes and procedures of CTRH.
3. To empower the community to clearly understand their roles in CTRH processes.
Results/Issues discussed and outcome of the Activity
Recommendations and Action points
1. Callers appealed to RDAA to extend such programs to other areas as well
2. Callers appreciated RDAA and UNDP disseminating the peace agreement especially chapter 5.
3. Government was encouraged by callers to prioritise peace over their interests/positions